Pompeo blames Iran for attack on 2 tankers in Gulf of Oman, US details evidence

Lebanon asks Syrian refugees to demolish their houses
June 13, 2019
Dutch won’t send ground troops to new US mission in Syria: minister
June 30, 2019

Pompeo blames Iran for attack on 2 tankers in Gulf of Oman, US details evidence

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday blamed Iran for the attack on two commercial tanker ships sailing in international waters in the Gulf of Oman earlier in the day.

“It is the assessment of the United States government that the Islamic Republic of Iran is responsible for the attacks that occurred in the Gulf of Oman today. This assessment is based on intelligence, the weapons used, the level of expertise needed to execute the operation, recent similar Iranian attacks on shipping, and the fact that no proxy group operating in the area has the resources and proficiency to act with such a high-degree of sophistication,” Pompeo told reporters at the State Department.

“Iran is lashing out because the regime wants our successful maximum pressure campaign lifted,” he said, adding that the U.S. “will defend its forces, interests and stand with our partners and allies to safeguard global commerce and regional stability.”

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *